Summer’s not quite officially over, but September has a way of making everything feel like fall. This lemon poppy seed muffin is the perfect in-between bread: the bright lemon flavor is classic summer, but the poppy seeds add a nuttiness and crunch that herald the coming fall. Plus, they’re rich in magnesium, fiber, and calcium, so you’ll feel positively virtuous after you eat your morning muffin.
Ingredients: (recipe adapted from Brenda Scores)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest (about one lemon)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon (1 – 2 Tbsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep your muffin pan with liners, if desired, by greasing cups or by using a silicone muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds together until just combined.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk the rest of the ingredients—milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, almond extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until smooth, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan and bake for 20 – 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins 5 – 10 minutes, then enjoy.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: