Another classic: chiffon cake with fresh oranges.
- 2 1/4 c. sifted Swansdown cake flour (spoon in lightly)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 tsp. double-action baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
Measure these and sift together into mixing bowl. Make a “well” and add in order: 1/2 c. salad oil (Mazola or Wesson)
- 5 unbeaten egg yolks
- Grated rind of 2 oranges (about 2 tbsp.)
- Juice of 2 oranges plus water to make 3/4 c.
Beat with spoon until SMOOTH. Measure into large mixing bowl: 1 c. egg whites (7 to 8)
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
Whip until whites form VERY STIFF peaks. Much stiffer than for angel food. Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over whipped egg whites – GENTLY folding with rubber scraper JUST until blended. DO NOT STIR! Pour at once into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake in 325 degree oven for 65 minutes. Immediately turn pan upside down, placing tube part over neck of bottle. Let hang until cold. Loosen sides and tube with spatula. Turn out on plate.
- 1 1/2 (3 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
- 2 1/4 c. sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Grated rind of 2 oranges (1 1/2 tbsp.)
Cream the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add gradually sugar and beat well. Stir in orange rind. If too thick, add a few drops orange juice. Ice sides and top of cake. Serves 16.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: