If you need some help coming up with topping for Chocolate Cupcakes…the answer is chocolate. It’s always chocolate. Now you know.
Here we have two options. You can use ganache as the filling and the topping, or frosting as filling and topping, or just do a topping, or use both of them. Either way is glorious. We recommend using the ganache as a filling, using the frosting on the top, and keeping an emergency glass of milk on hand.
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces (semisweet, if you like sweeter chocolate)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. instant coffee grains (optional)
Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat the cream and coffee grains (if using) over the stove until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir slowly until chocolate is completely melted. Allow ganache to cool completely before using.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 12 oz. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
In stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners sugar and beat until combined. Slowly pour in chocolate and beat, then add milk and vanilla and beat thoroughly, until frosting is smooth.
If you like this, feel free to share it: