Although we don’t need any excuse to make (and consume) chocolate, it seems particularly appropriate during the cold of winter. Devouring a mound of chocolate and butter and sugar just seems to make the chill a bit more bearable. And when you add chili powder in, you’ll feel positively warm! Well, maybe. Keep your socks on, though. Both pairs.
This cupcake would go well with a few different toppings, and since it’s a large recipe, you might want to experiment. We recommend chocolate buttercream, cinnamon cream cheese, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients: (adapted from Adam Roberts)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. If making cupcakes, line muffin pan with cupcake liners, grease each cup or use silicone bakeware and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, chili powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Set aside. Stir together the buttermilk, espresso, and 1/4 cup room temperature water in small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla. On low speed, alternate adding the dry ingredients with adding the buttermilk mixture, in three batches, ending with the liquid.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups, smoothing each surface with a rubber spatula. Bake about 21 – 23 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs.
- Let the cakes cool and then frost, or serve warm with ice cream.
The Belgoods Bakeware silicone mini muffin pan is produced from 100% pure food grade silicone. Certainly one of many key pros of silicone mini muffin pans is that they are unbreakable and long lasting. Silicone baking pans can be used in any oven, microwave oven, dishwasher or freezer. A silicone muffin pan is an valuable tool for any baking enthusiast. It’s unbreakable, easy to clean, heat resistant and it can be used in any oven. Always make sure you don’t fill the muffin pan cups completely. The Belgoods Bakeware products at all times use 100% pure food grade silicone. Silicone baking pans make baking a genuine pleasure.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: