This cake is a twist on the classic carrot cake. Although not too much of a twist, because leaving off the cream cheese frosting would be sacrilege. But, with the addition of apples and spaghetti squash, this carrot cake is even more textured and tasty than the original.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 ounces finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups olive or vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots (approximately 3-4 carrots)
- 1 cup spaghetti squash (less than half of one spaghetti squash)
- 1 apple, peeled and cored, then grated
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds of one half. Place it facedown on baking tray. Bake 30 minutes, or until interior is easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool. (If you want, you can use the other half for gluten-free spaghetti!) When cool, scoop out one cup of the stringy pulp.
- Butter 3 (8-inch) round pans and line bottoms with parchment. Butter and lightly coat with flour. Or use silicone bakeware.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, walnuts (if using) and salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat together eggs and vegetable oil until combined, and pour into flour mixture. Using a mixer or wooden spoon, blend until combined.
- Stir in grated carrots, squash, apple, and raisins (if using).
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, turn over onto cooling rack and allow to cool completely before assembling. If necessary, cool in refrigerator to speed process.
- Put layers together with cream cheese frosting and enjoy.
A silicone muffin pan is an crucial tool for any baking lover. It’s unbreakable, very easy to clean, heat resistant and it can be used in any oven. Always make sure you don’t fill the muffin pan cups fully. The Belgoods Bakeware products at all times use 100% pure food grade silicone. Silicone baking pans make baking a genuine joy. Yet another product produced by Belgoods Bakeware is the silicone baking mat that will fit a half-size pan. Silicone baking mats are fantastic for baking cookies and candy. Make use of a silicone baking sheet for anything at all that might stick.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: