Classic apple pie recipe. Delicious!
For the pie
- 1 1/2 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 c Shortening
- 5 tb ICE Water
- 8 c Apples [peeled & sliced]
- 1/4 c Granulated Sugar
- 2 tb All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 ts Nutmeg, Ground
- 2 tb Lemon Juice
- 1 ts Cinnamon, Ground
For the topping
- 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 c All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 c Butter
- 1 lg Paper Bag
- Vanilla Ice Cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To make the pie:
1) Combine the first measure of flour, salt and shortening using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in the water a little at a time, using a fork, and form the dough into a ball.
2) Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured board. Roll to an 11″ or 12″ diameter and fit into a 9″ pie pan fluting the edges.
3) Combine the sugar, the second measure of flour, the cinnamon, the nutmeg and the lemon juice in a large bowl then toss the apple slices in the mixture and arrange them in the pie crust.
To make the topping:
4) Combine the sugar and flour in a bowl and cut in the butter using a pastry cutter then sprinkle the topping over the apple filling.
5) Place the pie in the LARGE paper bag and place the paper bag on a baking sheet and loosely fold the open end of the bag under. Bake until the apples are tender (50-60 minutes).
6) Carefully remove the pie from the bag (CAUTION: WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAM COMING OUT OF THE BAG!)
7) Serve warm with generous portions of vanilla ice cream.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: