This cake, also known as a “Far Breton” cake, is a traditional dessert from the Brittany region of France. It’s very simple, but also rich and flavorful, and its flavors are perfect for the winter season. The only thing to keep in mind is the prep –make sure you start soaking the dried fruit the night before it will be served.
Ingredients (adapted from Mimi Thorisson):
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pitted dried prunes (substitute with raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. dark rum (enough to cover the fruit in a small bowl)
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp. butter
- A pinch of salt
NIGHT BEFORE: Place dried fruit in a small bowl and cover with rum. Cover with cling wrap and let sit at least overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Prepare a medium-sized rectangle or oval baking dish by greasing it with butter or oil or use silicone bakeware.
- Drain the soaked prunes and keep the remaining rum. Set aside.
- Sift flour in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat, the milk until it simmers. If a film forms, skim it off.
- Beat the eggs until fluffy, then pour slowly into the sifted flour, whisking constantly.
- Add the warm milk slowly, stirring constantly, then add both sugars, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and stir until combined. Pour remaining rum into batter and set the prunes aside.
- Pour half the batter into prepared dish. Place prunes evenly all over the dish and pour in the remaining batter.
- Right before you take it out of the oven for the first time, melt butter in small bowl or mug and stir in a pinch of salt.
- Bake for 35 minutes – when it is slightly golden, take it out of the oven and pour the salted butter over the top of the cake. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool, as you wish.
The Belgoods Bakeware silicone mini muffin pan is produced from 100% pure food grade silicone. Certainly one of many key pros of silicone mini muffin pans is that they are unbreakable and long lasting. Silicone baking pans can be used in any oven, microwave oven, dishwasher or freezer. The silicone mini donut pan manufactured by Belgoods Bakeware is made of 100% pure food grade silicone and holds 12 cups. Use this silicone mini donut pan to prepare tasty mini donuts! This donut maker pan is unbreakable and extremely simple to clean.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: