Chocolate and vanilla combined in one recipe!
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 (50g) cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (5g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1 & 3/4 (210g) cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 (150g) cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (122g) plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (You can omit if using vanilla yogurt.)
- 2 tablespoons (10g) cocoa powder
TO MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the butter, and mix with a fork, a pastry blender, or your fingers until the mixture forms crumbs. Set aside. (Refrigerate if you have a warm kitchen.)
TO MAKE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or line a standard 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, butter, eggs, and vanilla (if using). Add to the well in the flour mixture, and mix just until combined.
- Transfer half of the batter to a separate bowl. Add the cocoa powder to one half of the batter, and mix until combined.
- Alternate dropping the two doughs by teaspoonfuls into the prepared muffin cups. (Each will be about 2/3 full when you’re done.) Top with crumb topping.
- Bake the muffins 18 to 20 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan 10 minutes before transferring the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: