Traditional all American recipe: Apple turnovers.
- 2 tb Unsalted butter
- 3 lg Apples (ab. 1-1//2 lbs); peeled,cored & cut
- 1/2 c Apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tb Sugar
- 2 ts Fresh lemon juice
- 1 pn Salt
- 1/4 c Unsweetened apple butter
- 2 tb Dried currants (optional)
- 1 ts Lemon zest; finely grated
- 1/4 ts Cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pn Ground cloves; (optional)
- 1 pn Ground allspice; (optional)
(Use favorite pastry) These turnovers are best with at least two varieties Sweet spices optional. 1. Melt butter in a lg nonreactive skillet over mod. high heat. Add 2 c of Transfer apple mixture to a med. bowl & refrigerate, uncovered, till cooled On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry dough to an 18×20 Spoon the cooled apple filling on the lower half of each of the rounds. Lightly moisten the edges of the rounds. Transfer turnovers to a heavy baking sheet & refrigerate at least 15 min. Using a sharp knife, cut 2 small slits in top of each turnover to vent steam. Makes 10.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: