Delicious vegan recipe for lemon muffins.
Ingredients for the muffins:
- 2 flax eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup meyer lemon juice
- 1 heaping Tbsp meyer lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar (sub honey if not vegan)
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional, or sub chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal*
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub unbleached all purpose)*
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar*
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper liners, or lightly grease.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl and let rest for a few minutes.
- Add applesauce, lemon juice and zest, oil, almond milk, maple syrup or agave, cane sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for 45 seconds. It will foam up because the lemon juice will react with the baking soda.
- Add flour, almond meal and oats and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. If the batter appears too thick, add a touch more almond milk. But it should be quite thick and NOT pourable – rather, scoopable. Stir in the poppy seeds whisk once more.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins (should be enough for between 11-12).
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, remove from tins and let cool on a cooling rack.
- If glazing, whisk the ingredients together until a thin, pourable glaze is formed and brush or drizzle it on the muffins.
- Will keep covered for several days. Freezer for long-term storage.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: