A celebration of your favorite spices!
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 pecan halves, for garnish
- 1 to 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar or other coarse sugar, for garnish
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan or skillet. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and begins to foam.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until brown specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan and the butter has a nutty aroma. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line or grease 12 standard muffin cups.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, and allspice. Stir in the sugar and brown sugar. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Place the eggs in a small bowl and beat lightly. Add the cooled butter, sour cream, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the well in the flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, using about 3 tablespoons of batter to fill each cup about 3/4 full. (I like to use a 3-tablespoon scoop for easy portioning.)
- Top each muffin with a pecan half and sprinkle with a pinch of turbinado sugar.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: