Delicious gluten-free donuts!
- 1¼ cups white rice flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 7/8 cup potato starch
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon chickpea flour or soy flour
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 7 ½ teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cups warm milk of choice or water
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups vegetable oil (or more)
- Extra sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon, optional
1. Place rice flour, granulated sugar, potato starch, tapioca starch, chickpea flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and dry yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat briefly to combine.
2. Add milk, melted butter and eggs to dry ingredients. Beat for 5 minutes at medium speed.
3. Let dough rest for 20 minutes in a warm, draft-free area.
4. Cut 5×5-inch squares of parchment paper. Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with the widest tip or use a plastic bag with the bottom corner cut to create a ¼ to 1/2-inch opening. Pipe a donut-shaped circle* onto each parchment square. Set squares on baking sheets and let proof for 20 minutes in a warm, humid environment. (See sidebar on creating a proofer at home.)
5. In a deep skillet or electric fryer, heat oil over medium heat until oil reaches 350 degrees. Gently slide 3 or 4 donut sheets into the oil and fry 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the paper and gently turn donuts. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a tray lined with several sheets of paper towels.
6. While still warm, sprinkle donuts with sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon, if desired.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: