Apple and donuts: What a great combination!
Ingredients For Donuts:
– 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or baked sweet potato)
– 3/4 cup whole wheat flour*
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp liquid sweetener
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1tbsp olive oil
– optional 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional but highly recommended)
Ingredients For Apple filling:
– 1 Apple, diced
Ingredients For Topping:
– browned butter
– coconut sugar
* tip: for a gf version, replace flour with a combo of 3/4 cup gf oat flour and 1-2 tbsp coconut flour
1) In a small saucepan, add some butter and heat until butter liquified. Stir and continue Heating until butter starts to turn brown and has a nutty aroma. Transfer to a small bowl and let sit overnight until butter becomes smooth and creamy. In the morning, add some coconut sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl Combine ingredients to make apple filling. Add enough water so that the Apple is covered. Microwave on high ~5 minutes or until Apple is soft. Set aside to let cool.
3) In another bowl, Combine all ingredients to make donuts. Mix well until a dough forms. Use your hands to fully incorporate all of the ingredients until a dough forms. Separate dough into 3 equal portions. Place a spoonful of te Apple filling in the center of each portion of dough. Wrap the dough around the Apple filling and then poke a hole in the side of each “donut”. Microwave 3 minutes until fully cooked. Set aside to let cool. Top with brown butter and enjoy.
More Great Recipes
If you like this, feel free to share it: